About the programme
For aspiring trainers venturing to become a professional trainer, one of the most common challenging obstacles to overcome is the task of designing and developing their own set of training course materials. Very often, it takes substantial time and effort to gather relevant subject matter information and package the information into suitable learning contents for delivery to intended participants. According to survey studies published by the Association of Talent Development (ATD) and Chapman Alliance, it takes about 78 hours on the average to develop 1 hour of stand-up training (classroom).
Another common obstacle faced by aspiring trainers is the issue of marketability and demand of their domain expertise. Having been working as practitioners in their industries for an extensive period of time, many of the aspiring trainers have a rich wealth of sector-specific insights or functional domain skills. Unfortunately, due to the niche nature of their expertise, there may be a limited learning market for what they have to offer. As such, these trainers may like to focus on providing training pertaining to 21st century skills for Professionals, Managers and Executives (PMEs), such as critical thinking, problem-solving, etc to reach out to a bigger learning market instead.
This programme aims to address the above obstacles by:
- Equipping aspiring trainers on Supervisory & Leadership (one of the most important 21st century skills) concepts and skills facilitation
- Allowing aspiring trainers to demonstrate their competence in Supervisory & Leadership concepts through actual facilitation as part of the course design
- Providing a ready set of course materials for immediate use by aspiring trainers for future training assignment.
How will you benefit?
- Access to ready-use course materials for conducting own training - Reduce substantial time and gain cost saving from developing your own course materials for training
- Increase your chance of securing a training assignment with training providers or clients through having a ready training product
- High return of investment - You can easily recover your initial investment through either conducting 2 runs of training workshops or developing 1 training course materials for client
Who should attend?
Aspiring trainers, freelance trainers, existing trainers and professionals in transition
Module 1 - Team Roles & Functions and Communication Essentials for Supervisor/Leader
Duration: 2 days (14 hours)
- Essential roles & functions in a high performance team
- Communication essentials for Supervisor / Leader
Aspiring trainers will be able to facilitate and help their learners to:
- appreciate the purposes and the contributions of various team roles in a high performance team
- apply active communication skills as a Supervisor to facilitate work discussion and operations
Role and Function of a Supervisor
- Transition from an employee to a supervisor
- Common issues
- Self-development as a supervisor
Team Roles in a High Performance Team
- Three major groups
- Action focused
- People focused
- Cognitive focused
- Strengths and weaknesses of respective team role
- Addressing team dynamic issues
- "What is said" and "what is heard"
- Active listening vs hearing
- Key listening skills
- Recognising the content
- Responding to feelings
- Questioning skills and probing technique
- Using open / closed questions
- STAR model for probing
- Giving / receiving feedback
- SBI feedback model
- Tips on receiving feedback
- Giving instructions
- Deploying appropriate instructions at various workplace context for engaging employees
Programme Structure Format and Methodology (for each module)
1. Classroom Facilitation
Participants (Aspiring trainers) will attend 1-day of classroom facilitated session in order to be familiar with the leadership / supervisory learning contents and the possible learning activities that may be carried out to help learners explore and maintain their interest, enhance their understanding in the subject matter, as well as enhance retention and transfer of learning back at the workplace.
2. Preparation for Individual Presentation Assignment
After attending the 1-day classroom facilitated session, as part of the learning assignment, each participant will be:
- Assigned specific leadership / supervisory learning content for preparation for a 45-min lesson presentation as a mock-up trainer
- Given access to full access of the training course materials for the session, so that they can design, research, personalise and enhance the course materials for their area of presentation
- Given about 1-week break in preparation for their presentation, before reconvening again for the presentation
3. Individual Presentation Session
Participants (Aspiring trainers) will reconvene for a 1-day session, where each participant will present their lesson prepared and gather feedback from peers on their presentation strengths and possible areas for improvement. Through this exercise, the participants will also be more familiar with the learning content because when they teaches others, their own learning also deepens at the same time.
Module 1: 4 & 11 July 2018
Module 2: 15 & 24 August 2018
Module 3: 14 & 21 September 2018
Module 4: 18 & 25 October 2018
Holiday Inn Orchard City Centre
S$1,271.16 per module (includes 7% GST)
- Soft copy of presentation PowerPoint deck
(Participants can use it for their own training)
- Activity handout (both soft and hard copy)
- Facilitator’s guide book
EON Consulting & Training Pte Ltd was established in 1996 and specialises in providing human capital consulting and training services to organisations in Singapore.
Reg. No: 201301501N